Monday, February 12, 2007

Apartment-Hunting

...I am. Well, I exaggerate actually. Stephan is doing most of the searching. I'm visiting (when my work schedule allows), looking at Internet montages of potential candidates and vetoing. The thing is, though, on Saturday, we found an amazing apartment. It's small (but so are we), has an open, i.e. "American-Style" kitchen, which makes the whole living-room area great for dinner parties and the hugest terrace/balcony deal I've ever seen. It's gorgeous and I want it to be mine. Other important side notes: it's like, a block over and a block up from where we live now, so the neighborhood stays awesome, it faces out into the back courtyard, so you don't get any of the street noise, the neighbors are allegedly relaxed about barbecuing and parties (which the terrace really begs for), there's a bathtub (despite the outrageous price of warm water and utilities here, I'm a bath addict), aaaand what is not necessarily a given in terms of German apartments: it comes with a kitchen. Y'see, here people buy their own kitchens at, like the home-depot equivalent and take them with them from apartment to apartment. It's real weird, seeing an apartment with nothing to designate the kitchen as such except a tile floor. But bathrooms do come with toilets. And sinks. And either a bathtub/shower or a shower. It's fun and exciting. Late-breaking news flash: apparently we have the apartment. I know there should be an exclamation point there, but I'm just so afraid it's not really going to work out the way it's "planned", I can't let myself set my hopes too high.

However, this is slated to be another short post--I have my Volkshochschule (it's like a super-well-organized adult ed) Course in forty-five minutes. Got to get prepared to get my business on for two and a half hours. Whee!

Till next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Finding a great place is a huge relief, no?