Friday, April 06, 2007

Happy Easter, Folks...

This'll be a mini holler, because we're supposed to be on the 1:20pm train to Gloewen to meet up with Stephan's mum, who's driving us to the grandparents in the Harz mountains for Easter. It sounds complicated...but it's not really. I'm excited. Stephan's mum Angie is not the most relaxed person I know, so this may not be the most restful Easter weekend of my life, but whatever. It'll be nice to have a distraction from missing Easter with my family and the Passover seder with the Bickermans, all in one weekend.

Last night I met up with Carol Ladd, my high school German teacher, and the group of GAPP exchange kids she's taking through Berlin. It was really weird seeing them and the old chaperons-- and kids like Sam Whittemore who I used to read Roald Dahl to (he remembered, the darling). It's also wild to think that if, for whatever reason, I hadn't gone on the GAPP trip, how different my life would be. It sounds incredibly ridiculous to say that it was a life-changing, door-opening experience for me, but it was. On the whole, it was lovely. A little unsettling, but lovely all the same. And it was a weird kind of validation to be able to introduce Stephan to someone from home. I mean, I know his entire family, all his friends...almost everything, really and he has so few glimpses into my American life. When I think about the fact that he hasn't even met my parents, it's certainly a weird feeling. But it'll happen. In good time.

Hopefully.

Anyhow, I've gotten my 5 minute warning, which means I've got to start frantically searching the apartment for things I've previously forgotten to pack.


Enjoy your respective egg hunts!

No comments: