Tuesday, October 19, 2010

101th POST!

Silly me, I didn't notice that I'd hit the 100 mark on ye olde blog until after I posted. So I'll have to commemorate the 101th post instead.

This won't be long, since all the whirlwindery of the last few weeks has knocked me a bit flat (might also have something to do with the miniature bacteria catapults with which I work). The Schatz has a long lab day/night tonight, so I'm on me onesies with my HSE and my sage tea. I SHOULD be writing a paper on something around the general health of small children based on some study or other, or better yet paying bills, or better YET putting together a presentation on the main jewish holidays, but instead I'm ensconced on my couch under several blankets with some physalis (for the vitamins) and some of the Schatz's secret swiss chocolate stash (for the soul) posting to all you internet folks and coughing my face off.

Sounds like a rollicking good time, non?

Berlin has decided to release her winter ire a bit early this year--it's only a shade darker at quarter past six pm than it was all day. It never really got light. Instead, it rained and winded and was generally ugly. Ohhhhhh uglyberlin. It's the jekyll side of this city to be sure. Some cities turn into sparkling winter wonderlands in the wintertime. Berlin is not one of those. From now until April, things won't really change much, barring perhaps an early March thaw. It doesn't really freeze, so snow doesn't really stick--things just get gray and rainy and raw. I think that's what has turned me into such a festive holiday person. I never used to be, but celebrating Thanksgiving and the Advent season in general last year was a turning point for me. It was so great having a mob here cooking and eating and drinking together. I'm looking forward to the planning for this year. It will indeed serve to distract me from the impending hounds of winter hell. Freezing rain was forecast for today. I hauled out my ski jacket and the lined clarks for the trip to and from work and was a happier commuter for it.

Time to get a move on with the Christmas shopping, I suppose. But also alas, time to get a move on all the work I've got to do around here.

So, happy Fall to you of the interweb and happy 101th post to me. May your apple pies be crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside and your jack-o-lanterns well cut.


xo

No comments: