Monday, June 04, 2007

So Kinders...

It's been ages since I've gotten it together to post, here--but with good reason. The cables that once connected my computer to the Internet got jammed in one too many doors and therefore went on strike. Posting on Stephan's computer just isn't the same. (Excuse 1.) I just bought a wLAN router on eBay, though, so within the week the problem should be history. I'm also currently working until 9:30pm 3 nights a week. (Excuse 2.) This doesn't mean that I don't love you all, but it's been a bitch of a month. I really, really, really just want it all to be over. I love one of my business classes--it's this great mix of ages and personalities and there's just a fabulous dynamic among the students. When the class is over, I have the feeling that we haven't just learned stuff, we've a had a great time. My other business class which meets twice a week is...different. It's 6 people at the most, but since most of them don't ever talk, it feels like there are really only two or 3 people there. It's a good experience for me, because I have to bust my ass looking up extra grammar exercises for them and explanations for me. I'm learning a shit ton about my own language, but however much I do, it doesn't seem to be enough. At the end of that class, I feel like no one's learned anything and that they all hate me. Not optimal conditions, I must say.

Fortunately, everything will be over in July. My boss from BKS is on my case to keep working at least a couple of hours a week for her, which would be great for the money, but shitty in terms of the commitment. I'd be under contract for a the whole year, and even if things picked up at the nursery school, I'd have problems making it work with the scheduling. I dunno. If things keep going at the Volkshochschule, I won't need the money. Argh. Being a grown up blows.

I'm looking incredibly forward to coming home in July, though. It's irritating that Stephan can't come, but the way his labs are scheduled, we don't actually have common time off together at all this summer, even though the German university's summer break goes until October. It's ridiculous. It'll be cool to see everyone, though and to be honest, a lot less stressful for me.

I'm also realizing that despite the amount of time lapsed between my posts, I don't actually have anything to say. My tomato plants are growing, I spent the weekend vegetating intensively (I lost track of how many hours I slept on the couch on sunday...) and I'm starting the week as slowly as I possibly can. Last week was great--Monday was a holiday, Friday I only taught one class, because it was International Children's Day and a lot of the Kindergartens and after school programs had special programs planned. The bad news is that technically, I'm supposed to make that time up. When or how is a mystery to me--my classes only go for another month. Wow. That's kind of awesome to finally be able to write. Of course, the last weeks are going to be hell. I have the last round of open classrooms, to which all the parents are invited. And they all have to take place in this one week. Ugh. I'm not as petrified as I was the Last time, but it's absolutely nothing to look forward to.

I keep panicking that there's something I should be doing other than this...but I have another hour before I need to leave, and I've got my lessons for today all prepped and the grammar exercises for tonight all laid out. I really just have to take out the trash, throw my stuff in a bag and head to the copy shop. All the same, I should probably get on it.

Hope everything is well where y'all are.

No comments: