Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The bone that I'm picking with cheap, international phone cards...

So I'm irritated again. Why? (I know, I'm concerned for my welfare, too...) Because my goddamn phone card access number is down. When I called tech-support, some man with an unintelligible southern drawl (I consider myself to be good with languages, but I seriously had to have him repeat every other word. All I was understanding was "Ma'am".) told me that some "system" was "down" and I could not use my phone cards (i.e. call my boyfriend) until tomorrow morning. This man obviously does not understand the wrath of a woman denied telephone contact with her Macker. I'm pissed off. So I bought another phone card, from another service provider of course (yaaay for plastic!) and am now waiting with baited breath for the PIN/access number to be emailed to me. (Yaaay for technology!) If this doesn't materialize within the next hour or so, I will be pretty irate. Nothing gets me going like tech failures. However, since I'm trying to distract myself from the fact that I am waiting (which I also hate), I'll tell you about my day.

Scene: Bread Hell, as usual.
Characters: Mosley and Me.

So Mosley, a friend of my estimable little sister and a co-worker of mine (and of course, an all-around swell guy) tells me today that the guys that work in make-up (factory jargon for the men who make the dough for the rolls I package) had a bet going as to whether or not I had children. Apparently they called in Mosley to be judge and jury, because they knew we chatted occasionally. Me. With kids. I nearly choked. Now it's become an inter-departmental joke. My supervisor asks me how my children are doing. I suppose I'd be far more offended if I didn't work someplace where most people had their first kid when they were 20 or under. In Lewiston, Maine being a Mom at my age is relatively normal. While trying to console me, Mosley was like "Wait...doesn't this make you a MILF?" I still can't believe someone would be silly enough to mistake me for a mother. I mean, yes, I currently look like I haven't slept in months, but I still clean up okay damn it! And who the hell am I trying to impress at the bakery anyway? Fuck them for taking the little fun out of having one's boyfriend be across the Atlantic. Bastards. Today was my first day of my nine-day working streak. It's going to get a lot worse than this, I fear. Tomorrow's pay day, though...and let's be honest. That's always a bright spot in my week.

In other news, the Staples guy was apparently unable to install my memory that I bought for my computer. Can the hard drive being too full effect that? I know there's no bloody room left, but what am I supposed to do? It's all important!

...And still no PIN. With my luck, the "system" Mr. Southern was telling me about effects distribution of access numbers as well. Perfect. Oh well. I'll distract myself with more handbag.com.

No comments: