Saturday, August 12, 2006

in the beginning there was...

So. I have a lot of spare time and internet access on my hands. As well as a travel habit which takes me a away for months at a time. Etc. Enough with the justifications--there are a few of you who have lived through my misfortunate previous blog attempts. I think this one will be better. I am, after all, older and wiser. Somewhat. Anyway. An update for those of you with whom I've been out of touch for ages (Sorry--this will hopefully help with that, for those of you who haven't given up on me entirely): I did the whole year of Fulbright thing, and it was fabulous and amazing and full of wonderful people, bizarre meat dishes and just generally (east) German culture flying around all over the place. It was so good in fact (and people's real-world stories so disheartened me) that I thought I'd try to do it again--without the benefit of J. William Fulbright or his fellowship. So right now, I'm home in Maine in the process of applying for any type of job which will keep me fed, clothed and housed in Berlin/Rostock--but mostly Berlin. No, I don't have a visa yet. No this isn't about what I'd like to be doing, it's about where I want to be and who I want to be with (more on that later). So. Now we're all square here.

That was the prologue and the update. Other than that, I haven't got all that much to add. Today I applied for translating jobs at two different companies, and have continued to not apply for the job at SONY International. Probably because it's an HR Manager job that I am in no way qualified to do and would therefore never get. Certain people would say here that I'm being defeatist. I prefer to call this "realism". I've got tomorrow off from Bread Hell--on the docket so far: banking, used book sale at the library, more job applications, potentially a visit to the Grandparents and maybe some laundry. And/or the mailing of things. Or the compillation of impressive lists of Things to Do/Be Acquired. As if this is in any way relevant to much at all. Mmmm, not so much.

Albums getting heavy play right now: Taking Back Sunday, louder now.
*I was also disproportionately pleased when Such Great Heights came on my shuffle this morning. Granted, I was driving through misty fields at around 5:30am on my way to work as the sun was rising and all, but yeah. I was thrilled. It's official: I need a life.

No comments: